ExtensionsYour logic on our edge
In the last years we developed a unique platform that enables to run its Python code on our worldwide spread edges. By this your clients' requests can be influenced with a unprecedented flexibility and WaveCDN can be adapted perfectly to your needs.
With a quiet conscience we can describe ourselves as the most flexible CDN worldwide.
- Incredible flexibility
- Python-Code on Edges
- Free extensions available
- Build your own extensions
The following Python code is an extension for "signed URLs". The extensions aim is that just authorized web users can call it up. To all the others the access should be rejected.
The Python script exists of the functions wavecdn_receive and wavecdn_deliver. Hereby it's about special function names that are called up by WaveCDN at special moments of the request process and that can influence the further implementation via the env-variable. For example the URL parameters are read out first and subsequently will be checked if the hash fits. If that is not the case, an error will be sent to the web user. The example shows well how flexible and useful our extensions can be applied.
Free extensions available
Does the wheel have to be reinvented? Of course not! In the course of time our developer team and the great community generated a lot of extensions and placed them to our disposal. At this point a cordial thank-you to all the involved! This saves time and makes even complex CDN-setups in just a few minutes possible.
Frequently asked questions
- What are extensions?
- As the worldwide unique CDN WaveCDN offers the possibility to install Python scripts on the worldwide edges. Thereby the requests' working off can be influenced with the greatest flexibility possible.
- When are extensions executed?
- WaveCDN is working off various steps when requests get in. The steps' sequence is described in the request model. Extensions can latch to special steps and specify the further process. Extensions are executed after possibly defined rules.
- What is possible with extensions?
- Extensions have access to the environment. In this environment all the necessary data is saved for a request's working off, i.e. the requested file and the HTTP-headers. Extensions can read out data from the environment on the one hand and make changes on the other hand, i.e. setting headers or rejecting the access to special resources.
- In which environment do the Python scripts run?
- The Python scripts run at the edges in proper, embedded environments, that dispose of limited memory (8MB) and limited calculating time respectively. You can use the same Python modules like in a base install of Debian Squeeze. However, this may change in future.
- What do the usage of extensions cost?
- In the recent beta phase the usage is for free. In future it can definitely be that there will occur a charge for the usage of extensions.
- Is there a tutorial for the writing of extensions?
- Yes, please behold here.
- How are the extensions deployed?
- In the webpanel there is the tab "Extension" in the CDN setup view. There the extensions can be deployed.
Are you a developer?
We are constantly working on making our unique platform even better. If you are a developer we'd appreciate a short feedback about our extensions! We're looking forward to an email from you.